I have, however, always loved games, and drawing on white boards. I figured my kids couldn't be all that different than me, so why not put the things I love into my everyday Math lessons.
Thus, the creation of Popcorn Powerball.
- Everyone takes out a white board, and a dry erase marker.
- The teacher shakes up the two popcorn tubs filled with numbers 0-12
- The teacher throws a ball to a student, and the student reads the number aloud to the class. Everyone writes down the first powerball number.
- The teacher then throws another ball to a different student (who is listening, and following directions) and the student reads that number. (everyone writes it)
- You then turn it into a multiplication equation. 3 x 2=
- Everyone draws an array of three groups of 2, or 2 groups of 3
- The teacher goes around and gives out points to students who get the right answer.